Thursday, April 9, 2009

It finally Hit Our Family.....


So for those of you who don't already know, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer a few months ago. The cancer she has is weird in the sense that, they were not able to find the cancer in her breast , but are treating it as if it were breast cancer. she had found a lump in her armpit 6 months ago and had it drained. But once it came back the doctors took a biopsy of it and sure enough it was cancerous. The crazy thing is, is this is where the cancer had manifested itself, but not necessarily were the caner is, so she had to do tons of testing, body scans and other procedures to figure out where was stemming from.

They were able to rule out lung, bone and other spots, but because of the situation her treatment consists of Chemo, Radiation and Surgery. She has had 2 rounds of chemo, (only 6 left) and yes, she has already started losing her hair. But for those of you who know my mom, she is a real trooper! When she was diagnosed and given treatment options all she could say was, "I don't have time for this cancer business!" She has a website that allows those who want to check up on her to do so, so please, pay her a visit and remember.....she is a tough cookie!!!!!

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/dedelmachin



This picture was taken last sunday, she was so nervous that Laker would not like her with short hair, but of course she was wrong!!!! Laker loves in Nana
This is during one of her Chemo treatments...she is soo cute!

6 comments:

Sarah and Jeremy said...

Katie, your family is in our thoughts and prayers. It's so great that she has such a postive and strong outlook about the whole thing, she's defintely a trooper. And she really looks so beautiful even going through chemo! By the way good luck with the baby, it's coming up fast!

heidijogoody said...

Oh Katie I didn't even know this. Your mom is so beautiful even with the short hair. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you even if you ever just want to call and just talk I will listen! Keep us updated.

Natalie said...

So sorry to hear about your mom, but she looks like a trooper. A couple years ago when Bryce's mom was dealing with breast cancer she was so nervous that our boys would be scared of her with no hair. They love their Grandma's no matter what! I'm glad it didn't phase Laker either.

I'm also EXTREMELY jealous at how good you look! You're 10 weeks ahead of me and twice as small!

Kalun and Kristi said...

Katie, I'm sorry about your mom. She looks like she's doing good though. My dad was diagnosed with cancer a year and a half ago, he is now doing great, I hope and pray it all works out as well for your mom.

Jackie said...

Hey Katie,
I didn't know about your mom. I am sorry to hear that your family is going through this. It is amazing how far treatments have come. I have to admit that losing my hair would take its toll on me. When I went to a chemo treatment with my dad I met a lady who didn't have any hair. She told me it was her badge of honor. It was the 3rd time she had undergone cancer treatment. I thought she was kind of strange at first, but after talking to her for a little while I was amazed at her faith and hope. I think staying hopeful and positive is the key to staying on your feet. Take care

About us said...

Sweetie, your mom remains in our prayers. My mom went through all three treatments as well. She said that having supportive, loving family helped her through the difficult process. Your mom is lucky to have you ;) Feel free to call me and chat about anything! We love you :)